Sunday, June 14, 2009

I Can't Figure Out What To Do With My Hair!!!



The other day my friend had an event to go to around 11AM. I usually work this day at 12PM so there was going to be no salon time to get her hair done beforehand. She was complaining to me that she just didn't know what to do, she either wears it down or wears it in a ponytail. I asked her what she was trying to do, and she just wanted something 'different'. So I suggested just doing it half up / half down, with a little bump in the back for some height. She looked at me as though I was speaking Chinese. "I don't know how to do that; that's why I pay to get my hair done."

I think I looked at her like she was crazy. It sometimes astounds me to what extent some women don't know how to do their hair, but I suppose it is like everything...I suck at video games. Mario is about my limit with that, and I really just cannot wrap my mind around why and how you can play a game for hours on end. Yet, people can't understand how to just pin, curl, and twist to make a style.

I guess it just takes some PRACTICE!

Plain and simple. When you're at the grocery store, just pick up a hair magazine. Don't go through and look at those horrible haircuts though (we'll discuss that later) and color, but just look at the different styling techniques. Imagine how the stylist accomplished that look. You can also just 'people watch'. Now that is different than STARING at people, but I'm constantly looking at hair. Partly because it's what I do, but partly because I like getting new ideas and possibly learning something.

Some tools you will need to practice and experiment:

a blowdryer
a flat iron
a curling iron, unless you're able to do 'flat iron curls' (hard without a LOT of practice, trust me)
a comb
a brush
bobby pins
pony tail holders
a mirror to look into
a mirror to hold to look at the back of your hair (VERY IMPORTANT)
thermal protect/hairspray (some products are both, Aveda's Brilliant Hairspray for example)
TIME

It's easiest to work with the hair once it's dry and honestly, if you want it really smooth, you need to blow it out if your hair has some curl/frizz to it. Otherwise then you HAVE to use a flat iron, and then you still can't always get it as smooth. Then decide if you want to leave it down, put it all up or just partly up. Try to accentuate your best feature. If you have a great neck, pull it up a little bit, if you have great eyes, try to not let your hair fall over them! No one is perfect but we can sure hide what we aren't as happy about.

Bobby pins or little pony tail holders are really amazing, especially for summer and trying to get hair up without just having a boring pony tail. I will usually pull up the top part of the hair and secure it with a decorated clip or bobby pins and form a little bit of a 'poof' or bump for some volume (increases length in your face, causing it to look thinner, what woman DOESN'T want that?!) then I will pull the rest up as well either by twisting it or pull it into a pony and then hiding the holder by arranging the hair with pins.

One last thing: it does NOT have to look absolutely perfect! Every single hair does NOT have to be in place, every single bump smoothed down! No no no! That is boring and it makes it look as though you worked harder than you did. A few 'different' spot in the hair adds texture and creativitiy. As long as you're confident and can rock it, that's all that matters. So hold that creative head up and walk tall!

No comments:

Post a Comment